I am a stay at home mom and I have come to hate saying that. Not for the staying home or the mom part but the response that I get when I say it. Oh the looks on their faces sometimes. It's like they think I sit on my behind and eat bonbons all day long. Well what I do is quite the opposite, though somedays I do sit more than others I believe that I deserve that break. You get a break at your job don't you?
So let's get into what I do when I am staying home.....
This picture describes any parent's job pretty well, and depending on if they need or choose to have an additional real paycheck delivering job, this can become even more crazy.
I am able to stay at home. I am happy to stay at home. I give my boys snuggles through out the day. I can teach them, I can raise them. When we need to go and pick up Chickadee I ask her how her day was right when she gets out of school, I can help her with school work and the additional worksheets that we add in there. I can do all of this while cleaning and cooking dinner and wrangling the boys while waiting for Daddy to come home or for one of our weekly visits from Grammy.
I am proud of what I do. I work from home and even though I do not contribute to the paychecks that pay the bills I do help us to save on bills such as daycare costs, which are crazy compared to the rates that I used to have. Shute, if I had those rates our savings would be friggin' amazing. People, daycare is a very important job but come on. You have how many kids in your care and how much do you charge per hour/day? Yikes!
Okay, time to move on from that topic because I can get a little nuttso with it all. But back to what I do, which one should never ask a Stay at Home Mom what they do all day. Duh. If you can't figure that out I think there may be a few screws missing in that noggin of yours.
I battle for my turn to wash our clothes in the laundry room, I have to guard my turn in there or some vulture can come and take over. I cook, occasionally I bake. I try and teach manners and respect and responsibility and each child has their own challenges about them. I may not volunteer in Chickadee's school and I may not be on the PTO but I and one of those parents that keeps in contact with the teacher through email and when I drop her off at morning assembly. I add homework to her minimal homework from school because I believe she needs to practice what she is learning, I am a bit old fashioned that way and not really in favor of this new no homework idea. I am a little bit of a clean freak, I think that states my cleaning obsession a bit mildly. I am starting to make my own cleaners for our home, there is plenty of research to go towards that.....
I have plenty of things on my to do list to accomplish everyday. It is work though it may not make green paper money and it is what I do.
So from now on I am going to say I work at home.

No comments:
Post a Comment