So for this week I planned out....
Monday- Skillet orzo with spinach, beans and lemon (no meat) (site here)
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1 small red onion (I used white because I know my kids would not have eaten it)
-3 cloves garlic, chopped
-1 (15-16 oz) can of great northern beans (I just snagged the store brand)
-1 can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes, do not drain (this was my own addition)
-1/2 c cooked orzo (store brand as well)
-1 lemon, juiced
-2 c fresh spinach, chopped or 12 oz frozen, thawed and squeezed to drain (I did not measure this, I just washed up the whole bunch and chopped it up)
-salt and pepper to taste
-optional: 1/2 c crumbled feta cheese (I used queso fresco because that is what we had)
1. Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until almost clear.
2. Add the beans, tomatoes, orzo, lemon juice and spinach. Season with Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 4-5 minutes. (Mine took a little longer since I had more than 2 cups spinach)
3. Optional: serve topped with cheese.
I personally enjoy all of these ingredients so it was a hit with me, surprisingly my Mini Man scarfed it all and asked for seconds, which he never does. Though Lil Man and Chickadee both picked at it like a bunch of birds.
I will be making this again and possibly adding a second can of tomatoes.
I like to mix this up with different veggies and sometimes no meat. Since Mr. Hubster will be working I will only be using 5 eggs.
I like to saute up diced onion and garlic along with the veggies, mix with salt, pepper, oregano, sliced sausage (half of my free package from the previous week's bogo) and place in an oven safe dish. I will then cover it with whisked eggs and followed up with cheese. Place in the oven at 350 degrees and cook for about 25 minutes. Top with sour cream and salsa.
Easy, affordable and the kids like it.
With this I prep up fruit salad, the kids fill up their plates and instead of drizzling with agave nectar I will use 1/2 of the yogurt cup and sprinkle with granola.
I will be using the last half of my freebie sausage, seared, browned and warmed through. For the carrots I will use about 2 cups, sliced or baby carrots, in a small pan with 3 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp brown sugar. Let them cook on medium-low heat until nice and tender. My mashed potatoes are different each time depending on what I am craving or what I already have on hand. I always leave the skin on but I will cut into chunks before placing the pot to be boiled up. Once tender, and this is to your preference, but I like to add about 1/2 a stick of butter. I always make plenty of smashed potatoes to go towards a second meal. Add in a few scoops of sour cream, crumble queso fresco or shredded cheese, salt, pepper, oregano, chili powder (just a pinch for flavor bit not to make it spicy for the kiddos)
Serve it all up and enjoy. A nice basic meal perfect for cooler weather.
-your bread of choice
-1 avocado, sliced
-2 pieces of Mozzarella cheese slices
-1 tomato, sliced
-butter or olive oil
1. Heat your skillet over medium heat or bring out your George Foreman grill
2. Butter one side of each slice of bread, these will be the outside. If you are using a skillet you can use just a touch of olive oil instead of butter.
3. Place the slice of bread, butter side down either in your skillet or on your grill. Then start to place on your cheese, tomato and avocado. Place the other side of bread on top with butter side out.
4. Grill until golden brown and then flip and repeat.
5, Enjoy.




No comments:
Post a Comment