Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Crashed on the Bathroom Floor - Confession

In this confession of mine you could either find me as a good mommy supporting the sleeping needs of my babe or could find me to be a horrible mommy for what I am about to say.

Ready?....

I let my babe sleep in the bathroom. Yep. I do.

It all started when Fer was not yet here and I was a new single mommy. The babe needed sleep but she refused, I'm sure the whole Jaundice glow worm treatment and waking her every 2 hours for feeding did that. I set myself up but they were insistent that I kept up with the feedings. Babes usually loose a tiny bit of weight after birth, normal, but Evie was having a hard time getting it back. So every 2 hours on the dot, keeping a feeding journal of the length of time and who, what, when and where. During this time she was a glow worm, needing to keep this light belt on as close to 24/7 as I could so we bunked in the living room. Her in the bouncy and I on the couch. I should have know this was just to set us up for sleep failure till she turned 1 when she finally slept through the night in her own room.

Anyway, she needed sleep, I needed a shower. So I would take the bouncer with vibrations into the bathroom, strap her in, snuggled with a blankie. The heat lamp was on and combined with the toasty steam form the shower and the fan she would pass out. I never wanted to wake her, to get her to sleep was a large task so I would leave her there with the light and fan on till she woke.

So now, lets skip forward till the present and she still sleeps in the bathroom.

Evie wakes whenever she hears either Fer or my alarm in the morning. If she wakes with Fer's alarm I get her, state that it is too early and we need to snuggles in mommy's bed, usually she does not go back to sleep, then my dreaded alarm rings way too early though it is right on time and she has an option. Sleep in mommy's bed or come into the bathroom with mommy. Bathroom it is 99.99% of the time. So I grab a pillow, her little blankie (burp cloth), big blankie (mine :( that she has taken over) and her kitty named Spencer. She lays there on the rug, snuggled and toasty and 99.99% of the time she passes out. Today she slept for about 1 hour.

I want to be a good mommy and allow her to get the sleep she needs, she obviously feels comfortable there and I keep my bathroom pretty clean.

But I let my babe sleep in the bathroom. I know that when I am done in there and I were to bring her out she would wake and stay that way. Then should would loose that sleep and she could be cranky as she is very good at that.

So there is my confession. Good or Bad. I let my babe crash on the bathroom floor.

2 comments:

  1. Not bad at all, especially knowing you. You could practically eat off your bathroom floor (not that I would because it is a bathroom and just the thought sounds gross). That being said if that is where Evie is comfy cozy for a nap, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't eat off of any floor even if it was one I got on my hands and knees to clean. I prefer plates, bowls and tables. :)

    ReplyDelete