Thursday, November 5, 2009

In Response to FaceBook

A friend of mine and a blogger that I follow made a comment on FaceBook this morning.

"Sick and tired of people still talking to me like I am some kind of a punk kid. Geezus, I'm a 40 year old man. How about an ounce of respect?"


And I responded with : " people these days do not know the word or the concept."

Which leaves me thinking about how I am and will continue to raise my family. It is considered 'traditional' but it should just be the way. With people respecting their elders not 'old people', respect for their parents, ugh I know, respect for themselves "its my life", respect for objects "I can do whatever I want".

Guess what? My answer is NO!

They are older, which makes them wiser and have respect as they are a person too and refer to them as an elder. If you know their name use that, and once in a while stop for simple conversation.

Respecting Parents? Crazy I know. All the other kids aren't doing it. Here's something you should know from here on out. I do not care what the other kids are allowed to do. I am YOUR parent. I provide for you, care for you, would give my life for you and You will respect me.

Have a little respect for yourself. You are a girl, keep your legs closed as you are not a slut. Wear bottoms to right above your knee or longer, no tummy or boobage showing. You are a young lady and you will act as such.
You are a boy, you will be a gentleman. You will not wear clothes that are 10 sizes too big with crap on it that could be take in gang relation. You are not to be a thug or a pimp and you will not speak as such. YO! DAWG!

Don't go around parading yourself and ruining other peoples parades. People work hard for their possessions that mean more than money to them. YOu cannot figure that out then let's take a journey to your room and see if you can get the understanding. You will be with out all but the basics until you can respect what you have and what others have. You can't figure it out? Well then no nice things.

I am a parent that expects my children to be children but I also expect them to learn the basics of life. I do not NEED to provide more than the basics and until you get the idea of it all you will not receive more that that.

Lastly, we do not speak in "YO dog, whas up?" I do not have the perfect grammar and I do not expect you to have it either unless it interests you. But you will learn how to speak proper enough for a conversation and greeting. The 'dog' is a person and the person has a name, you need to use it. If you do not know their name ask. If they are rude about it then turn away. I would not consider it rude to ask for my name as long as I am not referred to as "hey you" or "baby girl".

Please, Thank You and Excuse Me are expected in my house.

Respect. It's what the cool kids are doing.

1 comment:

  1. Respect goes a looooong way. Respect me and who I am and just see what doors I can and will open for you.

    ReplyDelete