Extreme Home Makeover always moves me to chills and sometimes to tears. The amazingly hard things people live through and their stories of survival marked with smiles on their faces reminds me that there still is some good in this world.
I was moved 2 weekends ago while watching this show and I changed.
Joey, a 34-year-old wife and mother can relate better than most to the financial blow of a life-threatening disease. Even though Joey had health insurance when she was treated for leukemia in 2004, she is still paying off $40,000 in uninsured medical bills from her life-saving marrow transplant.
“I didn’t think about the medical bills while in the hospital and my husband didn’t either, but there was a lot to think about when I got home.”
“I wish I had known about your patient assistance grants back then. Families can use the help. Every little bit counts.”
The Scott Family Tom Wilhelm ~ Donor
Joey's Marrow Match ~
Joey's Marrow Match ~
Like 70 percent of patients in need of a marrow transplant, Joey had no donor match in her family. She had to rely on the kindness of strangers. She found her donor, Tom Wilhelm, on Be The Match RegistrySM.
Here is my Change.
I registered with Be the Match to become a bone marrow donor Monday of last week, the day after viewing this show and donated $40.
This past Saturday I received the kit, this morning I completed it and put it our for the mail man.
I can be some one to save a life. I could be the only one.
I could donate and recover any where for 1 -7 days, compared with giving the rest of life to someone it is mere seconds.
So then why not register?



No comments:
Post a Comment