I can speak as a single mother though I never was officially one. I can speak a person who had many dirty looks, comments said loud enough and as a stay at home working mother. I can speak as many things and it may not make sense to you till I explain how I can understand.
I met Fernando out of a not so great situation. I had just gotten out of a 5 year relationship, was cheated on, and reunited with a good high school friend that handed my number to her co-worker who I met for coffee. This person seemed nice enough, I wasn't in a clear part of my life and made plenty of choices that I am not proud of. But out of that mess I was introduced to his roommate who just happened to be the man I was looking for. The man that I needed in my life.
Fernando stuck with me through thick and thin, through my fault and me throwing myself at him. He had made it very clear that he did not want to get serious at that time. And then he left to live with his family in Mexico and I was heartbroken.
I knew I loved this man through I didn't know him well. I knew he cared for me as well. But if this all was meant to be it would take plenty of heart break, tears and love.
After he lived in Mexico for a while he returned. I woke early to pick him up from his graveyard shift, slept for about 30 minutes and then got ready for work. I would take him to his house before getting to my job and the day would go on and meld with the next. Same thing day after day, occasionally we had a few hours together while we were awake.
Again the time came where he returned to Mexico, this time I was hurt more than ever. We very soon started making plans for me to get a passport and visit.
I visited him a total of 4 times, 3 were for 3 weeks each and 1 was for 3 days.
I found I was pregnant after the second visit, the long weekend, to later be saddened and find that I had miscarried. He had already gotten excited about the pregnancy and the same with his family.
The last visit was when I became pregnant with Evelyn Marie. I came home feeling different, I was late but all the tests came up negative till a month later I received the second blue line and was on the phone like a stalker trying to get a hold of him. He didn't want to believe it till I saw a doctor, so I went to the lab the next day and another positive test, the yellow paper in my hands with the results telling me I am going to be a mother.
I spent my whole pregnancy, 37 1/2 weeks, living for the nights when I would hear his voice. I started having contractions around 26 weeks and was given a note to work only 30 hours a week or go on meds that made me fly and feel like I couldn't work. I took the reduction in hours, I had worked overtime till that point.
I woke with very strong contractions at 2 am on Mother's Day and I rubbed my belly and told her she can come tomorrow but today is my day. Evelyn Marie woke me the following Tuesday, after Mother's Day and Monday which I had worked, at 3 am. My water had broke and the invitation of life had begun.
I struggled to get ahold of Fernando that morning but finally was able to tell him the news. I talked to him 3 times that day.
On Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 6:23 PM a 6lb 3oz baby girl was welcomed lovingly to this world.
I was a new mother. Crying tears of joy and sadness. I continued this way till Evelyn was 6 months. He came. After many set dates and things coming up to set us back he finally made it and he held his daughter for the first time.
I remember the look in his eyes when he saw her. All he has seen before were pictures. The look he had when he held her. I remember the next morning the two, like two peas in a pod, fell asleep on the couch facing each other.
It was a very bumpy road we went down and there is more to come I know. But we made it. Through thick and thin we shall vow to love.
That was a rough time for you both, but you made it through and going strong!
ReplyDelete