Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A 'Special' - a story of 'then'

First, I would like to start with a little craziness. Some people might find some of the following quite crazy and you are allowed to think so but please read the whole story and understand I am just at the starting block.

Here it is. I have never roasted a chicken. I have never bought a chicken or cooked a chicken in any other form than dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets. I was single and I thought 'what the heck am I gonna do with a whole chicken?' So I never did it.

Then it may have passed my mind but I was a new mama by myself and trying to get a business together and balance new family life with work.

Then it seemed like a wonderful thought to cook and bake for my family most of the time, how nice it would be in our tummies and our budget. I just never took the extra effort to try. But I did mention this idea of wanting to be that mother and wife at the dinner table during Grandma's birthday dinner and then the world changed a bit.

Grandma, my grandma who remains to be called Grandma even with Evelyn, called me the following Monday just after her birthday party on Saturday. She wanted to stop by and she had a 'special' for me. Of course Grandma, see you then.

Then Tuesday came and she came with a large bag. Plop it went on the kitchen counter and she started pulling things out of it like she was Mary Poppins. A chicken, onions, broth, creamy chicken soup, gravy mix, celery, carrots, butter, egg noodles. It's like it was never ending and quite overwhelming. But she explained her 'special' was to roast a chicken with me.

Very little physical help was given as I followed her directions and advice. After a few minutes there was a beautifully pale dressed chicken waiting for it's turn in the oven. Then she started to explain all of the other things and showed me recipe cards for several ways to use the chicken after it is cooked.

Right now that chicken is in the oven. It is filling the house with wonderful aroma. My tummy is growling and I know Fer will be impressed when he steps in the door tonight.

Thank you Grandma for my 'special' now I can share it with my family.

1 comment:

  1. That definitely counts as a special. In my life I have referred to moments like that as Lifesavours.

    No, not Lifesavers, Lifesavours...because those are the moments in life you savour the most as you look back.

    ReplyDelete